Guardianships and Conservatorships

If your loved one is incapacitated, a minor, or is suffering from an incapacitating disease, he or she may need a Guardian or Conservator. A Guardian is appointed by the Court to watch over the medical and personal affairs of an incapacitated person (a ward), whereas a Conservator is appointed to look after their financial affairs. You may wish to appoint the same person to serve both functions or different people for each purpose.

Obtaining a Guardianship and Conservatorship is a lengthy, difficult process, which is why we always encourage individuals to appoint a Durable Financial Power of Attorney, who could make medical and financial decisions for you in the event of your incapacity. However, some people do not have a Power of Attorney, and others were never in a position to appoint a Power of Attorney. In such a case, we are here to help guide you through the demanding legal process of having a Guardian or Conservator appointed by the Court.


We will work with you and your loved one to determine your family's needs, and take the necessary legal steps to put a responsible, caring person in a position to protect your loved one.


The decision to pursue a guardianship or conservatorship can be challenging. You may feel overwhelmed by a sudden change in your loved one's life, or you may be facing many other unforeseen circumstances which led to the realization that you need to pursue a guardianship/conservatorship. We will help you sort through the challenges you are facing to arrive at the best legal outcome for your loved one. Give us a call to schedule a consultation!